Monday, 22 April 2013

S --- San Thome Basilica & St. Thomas Mount!


I think all Christians would know of the fact that St. Thomas was one of the twelve apostles of Jesus (I got to know only recently).

Santhome Cathedral: wikipedia
These two names are closely related to each other. Santhome Basilica is a minor Basilica located in Chennai city very near to the sea. Originally built by the Portugese explorers in the 16th century, over the tomb of St. Thomas, this was later modified by the British into a beautiful Cathedral, in the late 19th century.
The story: Christians believe that St. Thomas arrived in the state of Kerala from Judea, preached between 52 A.D and 72 A.D when he was martyred on St. Thomas Mount.

Now St. Thomas mount is a small hill in Chennai, near the airport. From the 17th century Anglo-Indians have been living in and around the place. Another church is located on top of the hill. Though I live somewhat close to it, I have never been there. Must visit sometime.

Santhome Cathedral is a popular pilgrimage centre for Christians in India.

P.S: This particular post is purely sourced from wiki, as I am not a Christian. I wanted to create awareness about this interesting news  :D. Do visit this Church if you come to Chennai.

2 comments:

Don't leave without your comments. I Wait-For-It !

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...