Thursday, 4 April 2013

D --- Dosa!


Dosa is a staple food in South India which can be taken for breakfast or dinner and in my case strangely even for lunch. Chennai is known for dosas. Not only Chennai, all around South India but in particular Tamil Nadu. If you want to know the technical details about its composition, here it is: Dosa is a fermented pancake made from rice batter.  It is also present in south east Asian places such as Singapore and Malaysia.

Dosa - Image source: wikipedia.org
The dosa comes with many side dishes but the most common are sambhar, coconut chutney, green and red chutney. I bet you wouldn't have heard of these words. Sambhar is a vegetable stew with a tamarind base. It has many variations based on the place but the best taste can be found in Tamil Nadu. The description may be weird to you but if you try it, you won't regret. I guarantee that :). As for coconut, green and red chutneys, they are dishes which look like creamy paste made from coconut, green mint leaves (Pudina), tomato respectively.

But if you ask me, dosas can be taken with anything such as jam, milkmaid, nutella, paneer butter masala (tandoori dish) and even sugar. The main thing for dosas to be delicious is that they must be fermented, else you won't like it. Chennai's hotels are famed for their hot, crispy but soft dosas. If you ever come to Chennai, do try some of the top south Indian restaurants like Saravana Bhavan, Sangeetha, Vasantha Bhavan etc; There are many hotels in Chennai that serve dosas. These hotels are the most famed. In the current situation and level of inflation prevailing in India, a dosa costs about Rs 40 /- (0.74 U.S $).

In my opinion, the best dosas are made at home. Also, obviously they are healthy and cost-free :P
There are different kinds of dosas available like : Onion dosa, masala dosa (inside would be filled with delicious mashed potatoes), Ghee roast etc;

Do try a Dosa when you come to Chennai. :)

7 comments:

  1. Many times, when I feel stressed, I go to the Saravana Bhavan near my office and have Ghee roast Masala dosa. The last time I had, it was Rs. 94!! Love the post on my favorite dish of this birth.

    http://onesidepaper.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post!
    dosas are the best ! \m/

    Keep smiling,
    Lakshmi

    ReplyDelete
  3. all time favourite is dosa!!ill have it even in midnight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now why didn't I think of this one for D :) Kidding...would be crazy if we do the same topic, wouldn't it :P Nice post, which is now making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dei, You tempted me da. I need Dosa now with side dishes :P One dosa parcel for Hari :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum--love dosas!! Fortunately there are lots of places to get dosas now in Portland, Oregon!

    ReplyDelete

Don't leave without your comments. I Wait-For-It !

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...