Monday, 1 April 2013

A --- Anna Salai!


It gives me great pleasure to take up the A-Z challenge. For a long time, I was trying to come up with an idea for a theme to blog upon the 26 days (letters) of April. After giving much thought, I decided to blog about the things, areas, places, celebrities and what-not related to my hometown, Chennai (former name: Madras). 

Part of Anna Salai -
Image source: http://www.hindu.com/
For those who don't know where Chennai is, it is a charming city located in the southern state of India, TamilNadu. It is also one of the four metros in the country, the other three being- New Delhi, Mumbai and Kolkata. 

Now enough with the introduction. For the first letter A, I decided to talk about the most, most important road in Chennai - Anna Salai. But the more popular and commonly and also formerly used name by Chennaites is Mount Road. The name Mount comes from St. Thomas Mount, the Apostle who is believed to have matyrdom here in Chennai. 

There are some words which when pronounced gives you a powerful feeling. For example: The
F-word in English. Try it for yourself. A powerful feeling exuberates from yourself. I am not implying Anna salai is bad as the F-word. I meant only the stress you give when you say the word. This road is famous and anyone coming to Chennai must know about it. It is also old almost 400 years old. There is much history connected to it but I am not going to bore you with it. 

The End points of Anna Salai are the red circles. Google Maps
 This road is a host to major business and corporate offices. Also, much of the city's star hotels are located in this busy road such as Le Royal Meridien, Taj Connemara etc and many more. Some of the important buildings in this stretch are: American Consulate, The British Council, The LIC building (In the pic), Higginbotham's (India's oldest Bookstore), Spencer Plaza (oldest shopping mall built by the British) etc; 
This road also experiences intense traffic during peak hours, thereby the cause of many careless accidents. 

That's all for today. I am trying my best to cut short the length of my post, lest it could bore people :)

23 comments:

  1. Great idea for a theme. It's fun to learn about places from an expert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog Tim...And lol, I am not sure I am an expert but I will try to cover all topics related to my city.

      Delete
  2. Brilliant start, Akash.. for any non-chennaiites, it is indeed a good thing to know about our capital city. perhaps you could have mentioned a word about Aringar Anna, our former chief minister. whose name is given to this road.

    All the best for the rest of your challenging days. bet you will tackle it with an ease.. we are waiting for it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Meera...Yea..now that you said it I remembered...My bad I forgot :/.
      But thanks for your wishes. :D

      Delete
  3. i have been to chennai once .But that was for an exam , so never could travel around in peace. Nice to have read about this. Good that you have taken up a challenge. Keep writing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do visit Chennai :) Thank you Maliny...

      Delete
  4. Wonderful start, Akash. I wish you all the best for the remaining 25. Cheers.

    Joy always,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna Salai - waht a lovely ring it has to it! Lovely post thank you and always so interesting to hear of where one lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan Scott....do visit daily :)

      Delete
  6. Awesome start ! waiting for more :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Liked your idea of using Chennai as a theme for the A-Z challenge :) Following in your footsteps. Well, kinda. I like to blog about Chennai events that I attended/enjoyed. My post was purely spontaneous, as are all my posts. So fingers crossed I will be able to meet the requirements of this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice start. You could give a sea of info about Chennai.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting theme - looking forward to the rest of you A - Z posts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Starting off with a great theme, Anna salai, one which all the Chennaites should have traveled. many memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi Akash can i plz have ur mail id, i went thru ur write ups they r amazing would like to discuss sumthng over mail...my name is ekta

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi Akash can i plz have ur mail id, i went thru ur write ups they r amazing would like to discuss sumthng over mail...my name is ekta

    ReplyDelete

Don't leave without your comments. I Wait-For-It !

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...