Wednesday, 3 October 2012

The Shining! - Review

The Shining (1980) is a horror movie, adapted from the novel (written by Stephen King) of the same name, directed by Stanley Kubrick. I am not a fan of horror movies, especially, after I watched some scenes of The Grudge and The Exorcist. I never wanted to see a horror movie again. But, since my English teacher asked us to write a movie review for a horror movie as an assignment, and also because I thought to myself, I've grown up, why not watch it....I watched. I have heard that The Shining is one of the top rated horror movies of all time. So, I decided to watch it. But, it seems I am still scared of this genre because, invariably I watched the movie during the day and I removed my earphones then and there (:P). 

A Still from The Shining
The movie stars Jack Nicholson, Shelly Duvall, Danny Lloyd etc; I am not going to tell the whole story except a gist of it. Watch it for yourselves. The movie revolves around Jack Torrance, a writer, his wife, Wendy and his 'abnormal' son, Danny who move into an isolated hotel for a five month stay in the winter season, during which, terrible and horrendous events happen. I have not watched that many horror movies earlier, but I found that this movie was not as terrifying as the others....or.....I don't know. But, I can tell you this, the film does give you the chills. As you can see from the above picture, I found Jack Nicholson's face frightening even when he seems to be calm. I don't know why. I personally liked the kid.

The first thing that should be appreciated, is the movie's outstanding background music. I guarantee that it gives you the scares. In my opinion, the casts' performance was commendable. I also noticed that the americans' conversation was much more polite and courteous than what it is now. From the location, the isolated 'Overlook' (the name of the hotel), to its eerily vibrant interiors, to the 'extremely' cold winter season (the hotel is buried half in snow at one point of time), to the large maze garden (similar to that which comes in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire!), the director has excelled. The movie does not look like it was shot in 1980, but futuristic. The ghosts and illusions that the family encounter is convincingly realistic for a 1980 film (From 2012 perspective). In one such scene, a cascade of blood is shown flowing down from an elevator which I found vivid and cannot be erased. The splendid usage of the camera and some techniques (for instance: quick repetition of scary images) makes the movie all the more spine-chilling.  

'The combination of the reverberating background music, the pale face of Jack, with the creases on his forehead, the horrific, enigmatic, wide smile from his lips and the fixating eyes that pierces, is bound to keep you at the edge of your seats'. I dare you to watch the movie alone at the night on your computer, with the headsets plugged into your ears (with full volume!), unlike me.(:P)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't leave without your comments. I Wait-For-It !

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...